Review | PALMER'S Cocoa Butter Formula Body Lotion


For the last few weeks, I abandoned my usual Victoria Secret Body Butter that I intended to finish to look into this body lotion from Palmer. I used to have it in a big, family sized bottle but couldn't make my way to finishing it and at last, it ended up being inside the bin. I threw it away because it passed through the expiry date and also, I wasn't a fan of it.

Then again, it was one of this day where I stepped into Guardian and decided to give the body lotion another go. If I remember correctly, the travel size bottle was around RM10 and here's what Palmer has to say about this product;

"Cocoa Butter enriched with Vitamin E, is an advanced moisturiser that softens, smoothes and relieves dry skin. Also, helps smooth and blend unattractive marks and scars. An excellent after tanning butter. Widely recommended for stretch marks, during or after pregnancy. Use daily for soft, youthful appearance."


Packaging
No frills packaging made of plastic. However, as the lotion is almost finished, I find that it's hard to get the product out from the bottle. I might end up cutting the bottle into half. 

How did I use this?
I apply it to freshly cleansed skin, usually after shower and left it to sink into the skin for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Theobroma Cacao Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Elais Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-8 Stearate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Alcohol, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Orange 4 (CI15510).


Verdict
1. The first thing I have to talk about is... the scent. I think a lot of people decided to own this because of the scent alone. As the name "cocoa" would suggest, this body lotion heavily smells like chocolate or hot cocoa drink and it will linger on the skin for ages. That indeed is a good point but I feel like the smell itself is quite artificial to the point where I can get a headache. If you look at the formulation, it does contain fragrance and few colour additives, so both scent and colour coming from this lotion are not 100% natural. 

2. Despite being described as a body lotion, this product is a lot thicker than what most body lotion are. The consistency is pretty thick, rich and creamy but surprisingly, it will not going to leave you with the aftermath greasy residue as it sinks into the skin fairly quick. I think this is important because a good formulation of body lotion would keep your skin moisturised without feeling uncomfortable to use. 


3. The bigger bottle of this lotion is equipped with a pump, and I love that because it makes the bottle becomes less messy. Meanwhile, the mini or travel size bottle is just nice to be put inside your handbag but I'm not the biggest fan of its packaging because squeezing a bottle sometimes can give you such a pain, am i right or am i right?


4. Moisturising effect - not so intense, but okaylah kot? I'm honestly not sure if my skin becomes any softer after using this on daily basis. I mean, temporary feeling moisturised, yes, but does it make my skin go smoother and soft? not quite. However, I gotta say that the formulation alone is good and up to the standard that I'm setting for a body lotion- it is indeed formulated with a bunch of emollients and occlusives;
- Glyceryl Stearate
- Petrolatum
- Glycerin
- Coconut Oil
- Mineral Oil
- Cacao Seed Butter
- Palm Oil
- Cetyl Alcohol
- Dimethicone
- Tocopheryl Acetate
- PEG-8 Stearate


5. This is not a miracle cream in a bottle. Forget it if you are looking for a lotion that can reduce the appearance of stretch marks or scars or.... would make you look youthful as per claim (lol what?). Why am I saying this? Despite the contrary beliefs and all these marketing hypes, there's no strong evidence showing that vitamin E would do any beneficial effect on scars. I speak for vitamin E because people always associating the particular ingredient with scars. So, no. Go read, go figure (p/s this and this journals right here). What vitamin E will do is to aid in preservation together with other preservatives like phenoxyethanol and methylisothiazolinone as well as keeping the product from turning rancid quickly.


Bottomline

I used to hate this body lotion a lot because of its overpowering scent but these days I can handle it. I have no plan in repurchasing it again, at least in this original cocoa butter formulation but I will keep my eyes on the other options available from Palmer. That aside, this is a well-rounded body lotion if you're looking for something moisturising. I'd totally recommend it to any chocolate lovers out there!! Personal rating: 6/10.





Product Info;

Name: Cocoa Butter Formula Body Lotion
Brand: PALMER'S
Type: Body Lotion/Moisturiser
Country of Origin: Made in USA
Content: Varies, mine is in 50ml
Shelf life: 12 months after opening

Links
(1) Official Websites: 
-Malaysia: http://palmersonline.com.my/
-International: https://www.palmers.com/
(2) Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PALMERSMALAYSIA/

In case you're keen on giving this body lotion a try, you can purchase the product online via Palmer Online Store and in-store at Guardian, Caring, Watsons, Alpro, Jusco, Cosway, and IDP. If you have a favourite body lotion, do let me know and most probably I'll get to hunting it down! :D

Share This Article:

CONVERSATION

0 Comments :