Review | Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation


PSA: ieyra h. brings you another Bourjois product review!!

Having to scroll through the archives of my blog, I just realised that it had been almost 7 months since the last time I noted down my thoughts on a drugstore foundation. I haven't been really buying any base makeup ever since I got this from Watsons because of these days, I try my best to do the "pan that palette" and also "1 empty, 1 newbie" project. So, today, before I'm tossing this out into my empties bag, I'd like to share with you guys the review of Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum. It's basically a cult favourite drugstore foundation among many! 

What it is? 
Here's what Bourjois has to say about it;
"Give your skin a radiance boost with Bourjois' Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation- made from a vitamin-rich fruit therapy formula for an even complexion and an instant anti-fatigue result. Made from an instant anti-fatigue vitamin-rich fruit therapy formula with litchi, goji berries and pomegranates. Available in 6 radiance-boosting shades."

Claims
"It fresh and instant blending gel texture blends and glides onto the skin for an even, natural finish with no mask effect. Imperfections are erased, signs of fatigue are smooth and the skin's radiance is boosted for up to 16 hours"



Skin Condition and Trial Period
I have an oily-combination skin although these days it's leaning towards dry and dehydrated. My skin is congested especially on the forehead, some whiteheads here and there and I have a lot of sunspots and redness. If I remember it correctly, I bought this foundation somewhere in May or June last year and it has really been a while since I first started using it. For reference, most part of my face is NC30 in Mac foundation shade, but I was matched to NC25 (and prefer to use it) or I would usually pick a foundation one or two shades lighter than my actual skin tone because; 
(1) foundations often oxidised badly on my skin.
(2) to avoid looking too weird since the rest of my body especially my hands are two shades lighter and.... I touch my face a lot. Lol.

Packaging
The bottle is made from plastic but it's very glass look-alike or so I thought. I'm pretttttty sure this is plastic but you know, I don't want to drop it down to the floor for a test. One thing I can ensure you is, the bottle has a lighter weight to it than its cousin, Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation. It's also slimmer but with the same 30ml content. A dispense pump coming along with this foundation is a massive YES because it's hygienic and I get more control, hence far less wasteful product than if I'd to pour it freely onto my hand.



Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Disteadimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat, Parfum (Fragrance), Panthenol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Silica, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Pantolactone, Punica Granatum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid, [+,- Cl 77007 (Ultramarines), Cl 77019 (Mica), Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499 (Iron Oxides), Cl 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)]
CosDNA analysis; [here].

-There's no SPF in this foundation, so please wear sunscreen underneath.


Scent
Strong fruity scent. It's very similar to Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation.

Colours
At Watsons, there are only 4 shades available (51-54) and after the bad, unforgiving oompa loompa experience I had with Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, I decided to pick up 52 Vanilla. I figured 53 Light Beige would be too orange if it's oxidised. 



BUT DOES THIS ONE MATCH ME?
well.... not quite, especially within the first 10 minutes when I put this on my face (the foundation hasn't yet oxidised). I'd look slightly grey, meaning that the shade is lighter. :( I noticed that MAC NC25 is a lot more yellow toned than this shade. Here are some swatches;




Application
I'd usually use 1-2 pump of the foundation onto the back of my hand and dot it all over my face, concentrating on both of my cheeks where I have some redness. I prefer to apply it with a Real Techniques Buffing Brush or sometimes I will use my cheapo no-brand buffing brush that I got from an Instagram seller. Buffing is like moving your brush in circular motions to blend the foundation and I prefer this kind of brush because it's dense and easy to buff in the product. 



Consistency/Texture
Bourjois described this as a gel foundation but I don't own anything similar to compare it with. The product is more on the "thin" side, but it's not watery and I feel like it gets the blending job easier with this kind of consistency. No need to do the one side first lah then the other side later etc etc because it does not dry out or settle down very quickly. 

Coverage
This foundation provides light to medium coverage that even out my skin nicely without it looking cakey or overdone. It's buildable but just above medium. I don't consider it to have a greater coverage than the original Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation.



Finishing
With a buffing brush, the end result is verrry natural and skin-like. It feels like you're not putting any foundation! It has a 'glow' or 'radiance' finish to it so that makes the skin to look healthy and dewy without being overly shiny. I also like how it doesn't feel tacky at all. I'll not recommend this if you like a matte finishing.

Longevity
Okay lah, not bad though it's very hot and humid over here for most of the time, so the foundation wears off sooner than I expected. I would assume it be great for winter time or for somebody who lives in a much colder country. One thing surprised me is that, I get oily easier when I wear the original version of the Healthy Mix, so this one actually tahan a lot better on my skin. I think I've read somewhere that gel foundation would help in counteract oiliness. Ye eh?



Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation vs Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation
I have been using both foundations without any issues and they do not cause my skin to break out, in fact, I love them both! If I'd to compare, I think there is a slight difference in the finishing, coverage and its oil-control properties.

-For the serum version, it's lightweight, provides natural finish and very skin-like. These are also what I consider as the strong selling points. So, If you have near perfect skin, the foundation could be an excellent option for you since the coverage is medium. Otherwise, opt for something like the original version of the Healthy Mix foundation for more coverage (medium but buildable to full).

-I much prefer the finishing of the Healthy Mix Foundation rather than this one. The former provides more flawless and make my skin look airbrushed while with this foundation, again, it looks very natural. My pores also don't look that visible when using the Healthy Mix Foundation.

-As much as I prefer the original version, it makes my skin looks oily quicker. I figured that just within 3 hours, I need to blot my face using a tissue or Clean & Clear Oil Blotting Paper. With this foundation, however, it holds up very well and I can wear it up to 5-6 hours without blotting, even longer if I stay in an air-conditioned room (pakai pagi, tenghari time zohor tu pun elok lagi)


Which one will I repurchase? as for now, I'm planning to go back to the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation because the finishing is something that I adore and would die for but this doesn't mean that the serum version is not good. :)
Personal Rating: 4/5. 
You can purchase this foundation at Watsons for RM61.35 but it's always on sale for RM55!

Share This Article:

,

CONVERSATION

1 Comments :

Chaste and Beautiful said...

Well, I've just freshly learned about your skin and keeping in mind that your country is humid, I feel that you will be disappointed with Fit Me Foundation because it does have a trouble dealing with humidity. Btw, I really liked your take on Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation. I've been wanting this foundation for ages and I'm doubtful whether to get it or not.

Chaste & Beautiful