CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV


My ever-glowing sunscreen collection has welcomed a significant amount of new products in the past couple of months or so. Most are new while some of those are re-purchase for various reasons. CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV is a product I'd straight away put it into my shopping basket whenever Guardian Malaysia is having their 50% cosmetics sale. Lucky enough, Guardian (and Canmake) has categorised this as base makeup, hence never place it together with sunscreen from other brands. You can find this often on top of the CANMAKE shelf itself.
Before I proceed to the review, here's a quick throwback of sunscreens I've tried in the past.

Physical/Mineral/Inorganic-based sunscreen:
🌞Dr.G Green Mild Up Sun SPF50+ PA++++ [LINK]

Chemical/Organic-based sunscreen:
🌞Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+ PA++++ [LINK]
🌞Sunplay Skin Aqua UV Watery Essence SPF50+ PA++++ [LINK]
🌞Uriage Hyseac Fluid SPF50+ [LINK]
🌞Bio-Essence Miracle Bio Water Sunscreen SPF50+ PA++ [LINK]

Hybrid sunscreen (contain physical and chemical sun filters):
🌞Guardian Sun Protection Body Lotion SPF50 PA+++ [LINK]
🌞Sunkiller Perfect Water Essence SPF50+ PA++++ [LINK]




CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV 
SPF50+ PA++++

Type
Hybrid sunscreen with 5 different types of UV filters covering both UVA and UVB.

Country of Origin
Japan

Net Content
40g

Where to Buy & Retail Price
Japan | ¥700
Malaysia |(Guardian & SASA) RM59.90

Claims
(Taken from official website)
-Smooth gel without that roughness or stickiness characteristic of most sunscreen.
-The gel breaks down into a watery texture as you smooth it over your skin.
-Moisturising makeup base with UV protection.
-Skincare gel with 85% beautifying ingredients.
-Can be used as a face primer.
-Use it on the body as well as on the face.
-Easily portable tube format.

How To Use
-Apply after preparing your skin with your usual skincare routine and before the foundation.



Ingredients
Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butylene Glycol, Diethylamino hydroxybenzoate Hexyl Benzoate, Zinc Oxide, Methylheptyl Isostearate, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Diisostearyl Malate, Aluminium Hydroxide, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethlsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Hydroxystearic Acid, Jojoba Esters, Xanthan Gum, Arginine, Hyaluronic Acid, Alpha-Glucan, Phytic Acid, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Glucosyl Ceramide, Prunus Yedoensis Leaf Extract, Job's Tears Seed Oil, Morus Alba Root Extract, Evening Primrose Seed Extract, Silver Oxide, Spiraea Ulmaria Flower Extract, Bilberry Extract, Artichoke Leaf Extract.



Verdict
So, I'm not going to lie, CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV's purchase was a no brainer when it was on sale. Why would I pay more when I can get it at a price that's similar to what they have in Japan? :D Also, I knew I wanted to try it because it's from CANMAKE. I suppose any UV products from a brand that's famous for their cosmetics would not just be cosmetically elegant but would work well in many different kinds of foundations.



Turns out it's true. Unlike Biore UV Aqua Essence and Sunplay Skin Aqua UV Essence that I've tried before, CANMAKE does not pile when I apply a layer of foundation on top. When I was in South Korea last summer, I packed this sunscreen together with Bourjois Air Mat foundation and they both worked well to each other. I've also used this under Nars Sheer Glow and Catrice HD Liquid Foundation and all these resulting in a finish with no piling. 

I do think, however, the rate of absorption plays an important role here. If the sunscreen isn't fully absorbed into the skin, any foundation would slide off because of the slippery surface. Plus, layering a heavier primer or foundation on top of a lightweight sunscreen would not make the finishing at its best condition a.k.a piling could easily happen. So, I guess I get pretty luck out with the CANMAKE sunscreen.

How does it feel on the skin?
1) Moisturised.
CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV sunscreen is billed as a sunscreen that would turn into watery texture from its gel consistency. A couple of ingredients like Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Jojoba Esters, Arginine, Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramide and Job's Tears Seed Oil work together to boost out the level of moisture and they are also giving the skin emollient texture. This sunscreen is light, hydrating, moisturising, highly spreadable, as well as it's easy to use. You only need to rub in slightly into the skin.

If you have dry skin and afraid of a sunscreen that could make your skin feeling tight, this is it (plus, it's alcohol-free, so YAAY), if you are not a fan of tacky sunscreen, this is it, if you're a busy person, always in a rush and have no time to do a full-face morning skincare routine, this is it, CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV is a 2 in 1 product- a moisturiser as well as giving you a sun protection. I'd highly recommend it to be included in your skincare army. 

2) A Slight Silicone Feeling.
Just a tiny bit, nothing heavier if I'd to compare it with Biore UV Aqua Essence. Finding a silicone derivative ingredient is absolutely normal in Asian sunscreen and so does in the CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV itself; the sunscreen is formulated with dimethicone, mostly to provide the smooth and silky-like finish.



3) Cosmetically Elegant but Beware of The Shine.
The product has a pale yellowish appearance, once work into the skin, it appears into a translucent finish and this is definitely beneficial if you're a makeup wearer as it won't alter the shade of any foundation. This sunscreen is also good for people of colour. One of the downsides, however, is the shine it produces- it's going to make your face looks dewy but a swipe of mattifying powder will diminish it all. My current favourite right now is Catrice Nude Illusion Loose Powder that's available cheaply at Guardian. Or perhaps, if you want to use a CANMAKE product, may I suggest to you to get the Secret Beauty Powder? It retails for RM56.50 per pan.



I'd say the rate of absorption is extremely slow but expected just by looking at the ingredient list; it's full of skin conditioning agents but with no alcohol. If you use this on a hot, typical Malaysian's weather that's known for higher humidity, I'd say it takes around 10 minutes before it gets fully sink into the skin. Definitely not the best sunscreen to carry around if you're sweaty.

The sunscreen comes in a squeezable bottle that made from a soft-type plastic material, so be careful not to squeeze it hard or else it will spill. Meanwhile, the bottle is opaque and this is good to prevent the sunscreen from undergoing degradation process faster.



I've been introduced to the sunscreen almost a year ago, every now and then, I'd buy it if it's on sale. I do like to use it at home due to its thinnest property and how well it behaves onto my skin for most of the times. In a weather condition where it's too humid and I sweat a lot, I noticed my skin will get itchy from using (YMMV!). I personally think it's a good home/office sunscreen or when you're under minimal sun exposure. I wouldn't recommend it for sport or if you're working under the sun; rather than the CANMAKE sunscreen, try searching for stronger, preferably cream type sunscreens because they tend to be long-lasting, waterproof and won't slide easily from the face. For that, I'm sticking with my Dr. G Green Mild Up Sunscreen I've reviewed just recently.


CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV is mildly scented and the scent does not come from fragrance/perfume, it's merely the plant extractions instead. I think this would be a good choice for those who are looking for an alcohol-free and fragrance-free sunscreen. As for now, I'd gladly use it only when I'm at home~

Hopefully, this helps! Remember to always wear sunscreen during the day regardless of the weather. Thank you so much for reading! Follow me on Bloglovin and Instagram for more updates!

Share This Article:

, ,

CONVERSATION

3 Comments :

Melody Jacob said...

I need to get powder, I mean the ones for under chick and sunscreen
https://www.melodyjacob.com/2019/05/32-ruffle-skater-mini-summer-dresses.html

Jennifer said...

These sound great! I've never used a gel sunscreen before!

Jennifer
Effortlessly Sophisticated

Tel U said...

The review titled "CANMAKE Mermaid Skin Gel UV Sunscreen Review" provides a comprehensive and well-structured assessment of the product. Could you elaborate on how this texture affects the application process and the overall comfort of wearing the sunscreen throughout the day? Tel U