Review | Essence MATT Effect XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss


I already love some products from Essence but I've never tried their lip products before. Basically, I found this Essence Matt Effect XXXL Longlasting lipgloss together with their well-raved longlasting lipstick in Watsons few months ago. The main reason I wanted to try this product was because of the mattifying effect as I did not own any matte lip glosses before. 


Packaging
12 cm sized product with transparent plastic tube. It has a flat, rectangular shape sponge applicator unlike the typical lip gloss wand. I'd prefer if Essence listed the ingredients on it's packaging since I'm the one who always check for it before buying any makeup products.



Ingredients
Hydrogenated Didecene, Talc, Polybutene, Silica Dimethy Silylate, Beeswax, Alkyl Dimethicone, Sodium Saccharin, Pentaerythrityl, Tetra-Di-T-Butryl - Hydroxyhdrocinnamate, Flavour, Red 6, Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77491, Iron Oxides and Titanium Dioxide. Source [here

Scent
This has a sweet, strong toffee scent which could be bothering for some, but it fades away upon application. Each time I take a sniff from the tube, it makes me feel like I'm in a coffee shop!!

Formula/Texture/Finish
mousse like texture where it feels soft, smooth, and weirdly, oily on your lips. It's kind of strange calling them a lip gloss - both of them are very opaque in colours and they feel more like lip cream or a liquid lipstick but with thinner, (again, oily) consistency. I feel like this is just a creamy lip gloss rather than a true matte lip product. 

Colour Range/Swatches
I decided to buy '05 Velvet Rose' and '06 Soft Nude' because they were the most wearable colour out of 3 available in the store. Another shade they have over here is '07 Silky Red' whilst '15 Coral Mousse' is not available in Malaysia (I think so..). A discontinued shade from this line is '09 Smooth Berry'.




05 Velvet Rose
It seems to have a cold undertone, barbie pink shade. For reference, I'm in the shade NC25-30 in Mac foundation and the colour totally makes me look washed out. I think Beauties with paler complexion would suit more of this. 

06 Soft Nude 
I'd describe this as a Rosy brown colour. It is a decent, my-lips-but-better shade on me and I'm absolutely loving it. If you're planning to give this particular lip gloss a go, I'd definitely recommend you to try this shade as I can imagine it suits most skintone. 

Application
05 Velvet Rose can be patchy. It takes 3 layering until fully covered my actual lip colour. I have no complain for the other shade, it's nicely pigmented with just a swipe. However, I do find both of these settle into fine lines, so prep lips are advisable. 

Longevity
In term of it's longevity - Ehem. Are you sure this is a long-lasting lip gloss, Essence? Because apparently it's not. Product claims to be long-lasting but I find it a meh. It started fading on me after two to three hours without leaving any tint. I think because of it's 'slippery' consistency, the product doesn't stay in place either and can be removed easily just by tissue alone, no makeup remover, no water whatsoever... It doesn't survive a meal too. :/



Product Info;

Name : MATT Effect XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss
Brand : Essence 
Made In : Italy
Content : 4.5ml

On the Website: 
Matt = a must! if you love this lip trend, the velvety-matt, long-lasting lipglosses are ideal for you! the light, mousse-like texture lasts on your lips for several hours without drying them out. Particularly easy to apply thanks to the flat applicator. [source]

Price : RM 12.61. I bought this at RM 11.90
Availability (Malaysia) : Watsons Pharmacy
Link : http://www.essence.eu/

I like 06, but not 05. But overall, the consistency and the end result of this particular line is a bit bummer. It's a decent buy if you're on a budget, otherwise, look for a truly matte and long-lasting option like Bourjois Velvet Ronge Edition Lipstick. :)

I was wondering if the glossy ones has the same lasting power. I'd like to try it! What do you think? 

Share This Article:

,

CONVERSATION

19 Comments :

Resh said...

Love the colours, never tried this brand before need to check it out. Great review!!

Amy said...

This sounds pretty good, thank you for the review! I've only ever tried nail polish from this brand before ♥
Amy xx

Little Moon Dragon

Beauty Follower said...

The Velvet Rose is ideal for summer time ;)

http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

Katina Lindaa said...

Essence is such a great brand for the price ! x


www.katinalindaa.com

Sarah Rizaga said...

Lovely review, thanks for sharing this to us <3

Anyway, would you like to follow each other? Follow me and let me know in the comment so that i can follow you back instantly :)

www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

Sakuranko said...

Velvet Rose is a beautiful shade
xx

Jolien Nathalie said...

A lot of Dutch girls have been raving about this so I almost considered buying it until I read your review :) Thank you for saying it's like a lipcream, I'm not such a fan of those kinda products! Sorry you haven't heard of me in so long, how are you?

ieyra h said...

TQ! :D I must say I am in love with Essence cosmetics. One of my all time favourite product is definitely not these lip glosses but their Lip Liner! Tati from GlamLifeGuru on Youtube also liked it! :)

ieyra h said...

You're welcome, Amy, and thanks for reading! ^_^ I know a lot of people really like their shimmery lip glosses from the same line, but I've yet to try those. I still need to try Essence nail polishes too! :D

ieyra h said...

I agree! It is indeed a cheerful, very summery colour, but I usually look absolutely horrible with it, hehe. Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

ieyra h said...

Hi Katina! I agree with you! Their prices are fantastic and most of the products are in great quality too! <3

ieyra h said...

Unfortunately, I wished I can pull it off. :/ I'm looking like a walking corpse every time I have it on my lips, haha

ieyra h said...

Hi Jolien! Thank you for asking! I'm good, kinda busy with my daily activities, I rarely on blog and twitter too. :( I still can't believe this is my first ever in detail review on Essence product, LOL. About this lip gloss, I feel uncomfortable with the texture, it's just oily and slippery, so weird! I heard that 06 Soft Nude is a dupe for MAC Velvet Teddy and that's the shade I've always wanted for a lipstick! So..you know, I'm still going to keep this, haha. Nevertheless, I'd really like to try their XXXL Shine Lip Gloss, heard good things about it online. :)

shad said...

I think it look like too creamy for me... hehe.. tak pernah try lagi from this brand.. Heehee.. thank you for the review sis.. an affordable one..

ieyra h said...

It's almost the same as NYX Soft Matte tu, but at least that one doesn't feel weird on lips. Essence is ah-may-zing Shad! Hope you'd give it a try :) Love the brand for it's price. Long lasting lipstick & their lip liner are well raved. :)

Karlina said...

I like Soft Nude (06) too .. ^^ I never heard this brand .. www.misskarlina.com

ieyra h said...

Hi Karlina! I really thought Essence is available in Indonesia! o__o

Chaste and Beautiful said...

The shades are just too gorgeous but overall, the consistency and application does not look fit.

http://themeticulousperfections.blogspot.com/

Krishna Fay D. said...

Ooooo Soft Nude looks really nice! I'm glad Essence released liquid matte lippies because Essence is really affordable. Thanks for the review :)