Review | Simple Skincare Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel


The Simple Kind To Skin range is aimed mainly for people with sensitive skin. I personally wouldn't say the cleanser is incredible. However, I confess that I have purchased maybe 4 to 5 tubes of it over the past years even though it's not one of my favourites. Let me tell you why.


Before I get into the review, I'm going to list below what Simple Skincare has to say about the gel cleanser;

Description
Our Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel is a perfect blend of ingredients to help to keep your skin thoroughly cleansed and revived. Perfect for even sensitive skin

Claims
- 100% soap free
- 2 vitamins (provitamin B and vitamin E).
- No artificial perfume or colour.
- No harsh chemicals.


Ingredients
There are ONLY 10 ingredients needed to make this cleanser. Very short and simple, just like their brand's name. They are;

Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pantolactone, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate.

Ingredient Analysis
The first thing I noticed about the formulation is how Cocamidopropyl Betaine (coco-betaine) is used as a primary surfactant. Before you further ask, a surfactant is basically the thing that takes away dirt and oil from your face. Coco-betaine is derived from coconut oil, with most commonly you will see in the ingredient list of a cleanser that says "soap-free" or "SLS-free". Although it is less irritating than the common surfactant, let's say, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), there are a lot of case reports previously suggested that Cocamidopropyl Betaine is related to allergic dermatitis, for example [this] and [this].

There's nothing to worry about unless you're sensitive to it. Note that skincare allergen is very, very personal and it's all depends on your skin. Some people prefer their cleanser not to have any SLS so this cleanser from SIMPLE might be a good option. Where else some people that have coconut oil and its derivatives sensitivity, probably best to avoid Cocamidopropyl Betaine based cleanser.

I see a lot of emollient and humectant are used in formulating SIMPLE Gel Cleanser. Propylene Glycol is the main reason why this cleanser has a "clear gel" look. It's also another type of surfactant and emollient, hence giving 'moisturising' effect to the skin. There are 2 types of vitamins used in the cleanser, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B) and Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E). The previous version of SIMPLE Gel Cleanser doesn't have vitamin E in its ingredient. 

Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose and Sodium Chloride are both needed to thicken the gel cleanser. The former ingredient is also an occlusive by foaming a layer of film on the skin.

Disodium EDTA and Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate mainly act as preservatives. The last ingredient is apparently a formaldehyde releaser and it's rated 6 on cosDNA assessment (which is pretty bad). But, relax lah... [This] nicely written article stated that the maximum concentration permitted by the European Union (since SIMPLE is made in the EU) is 0.5%. At this concentration, it only releases 0.005% of formaldehyde- which is unlikely a thing to worry about! :D


My Trial Period
Long enough, I do not know why I haven't sat down and write a review about it. My first buy was in 2013. For your information, these days my skin condition is dehydrated, with just a little bit of oil on the forehead. 

Packaging
Squeeze tube. Semi-translucent packaging. No waste, no spillage I have noticed. However, due to its runny gel consistency, you might want to keep the cleanser upside down. The price is RM20.90 for 150ml of product. I'd stay it's affordable, but there are a lot more cheap face cleansers in the drugstores. 


Consistency and Texture
Colourless gel like texture. It is sticky but not to the point where I'd get annoyed by its stickiness. Despite being a gel, the consistency is quite runny. 

Scent
There's no fragrance in the ingredient- something that people with sensitive skin would appreciate. The chemical scent is barely there too! *love*

Application
It says on the packaging that the cleanser is 100% soap free. So maybe, setengah orang cakap pakai macam tak puas, sebab tak berbuih. However, you're still able to get foams from Cocamidopropyl Betaine. It does foam up, although not as foamy as other conventional face cleansers.
Here's a solution, use a foam net or konjac sponge!


Verdict
I think I turn to this cleanser a lot when I want a basic, everyday gentle cleanser especially if my skin condition is okay- not too oily or dirty. That is why I prefer to include it in my morning cleansing routine. At night, I would need something stronger as I wear makeup on daily basis. One thing I like about the cleanser is how it doesn't leave me with the squeaky clean feeling and let me tell you I do freak out if a cleanser does that to my skin. 

Here's an explanation;
The first rule of choosing a cleanser; avoid chasing the one that is harsh to you skin, as in leaving you with (again), the "squeaky clean feeling". You're basically gonna irritate your skin, completely stripping down natural oil, disturbing the acid mantle and also skin's protective barrier. Soap and any high pH cleansers often do that. Our skin's surface pH ideally needs to be below 5 (which is slightly acidic), as published in this journal. And ada sebab sebenarnya kenapa kulit kita acidic- taknak bagi bacteria hidup!

I found out the pH of Simple Skincare Kind To Skin Gel Cleanser is 5.5-6.4, and it's still in the acidic range. I think that should be okay and still close to our normal skin surface pH.

In terms of comfortableness, I'd rate the cleanser 2 out of 5? I always feel like there's a layer of film left behind on my skin IF I don't lather it properly. Then again, if we look closely to its ingredients, the unclean feeling most probably coming from Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose.

Just for the sake of reviewing, this cleanser is not really good at removing makeup, so if you're looking for a deep clean face cleanser, this might not be the one. (note: please use makeup remover to remove your makeup)
Below I swatched;
-Sendayu Tinggi Doll Skin Foundation, 
-Maybelline Liquid Eyeliner,
-Maybelline Pencil Eyeliner,
-Maybelline Magnum Volum' Express Mascara. 


You can clearly see how gentle it is.........


Personal Rating
6/10.

Would I repurchase
Yes, although it's not my favourite. I enjoy using it as a part of my morning cleanser. 

Buy this 
If you have overall good skin and just want a super duper gentle cleanser.

Skip this
If you're sensitive to Cocamidopropyl Betaine (or coconut oil in general). Not the best choice for deep cleansing.


Product Info;

Name: Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel
Brand: Simple Skincare
Type: Face Cleanser
Country of Origin: Made in EU
Content:150ml
Shelf life: 12 months
Limited Edition: No

Price: RM20.90
Availability (Malaysia)
(1) In store- You can get this at most stores and pharmacies but I generally pick it up at Watsons and Tesco
(2) Online- Official Malaysia's Simple Skincare Online Store [Buy Here]

Links : 
Simple Skincare Malaysia Official Website [http://www.simpleskincare.my/]
Simple Skincare Malaysia Official Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/simplemalaysia]

Thank you so much for reading, and stay tuned to see my review on "cleanser x"! ;P

Share This Article:

CONVERSATION

11 Comments :

Ristra Russilahiba said...

I am amazed by the ingredients, it really is simple since the regular product usually have this crowded single paragraph describing the materials used -_- Can't help to know what is this questionable "cleanser X", I am curious!

Ristra || It's Peachy

Amy said...

This sounds really nice, I think that having a gentle cleaner is super important ♥
Amy xx

Little Moon Dragon

Sakuranko said...

I need be honest with you, this looks like a nice product but I know that are better cleansers so I pass!
Great review!
xx

www.sakuranko.com

itsjessiejane said...

It looks very gentle! X

♡ itsjessiejane ♡

Windy Greene said...

great product review! i only just tried the facial wash, gel, toner and moisturizer and after putting on baby powder, i love the way my skin feels. your rundown of the ingredients is expertly done! 💞

ieyra h. said...

thank you so much for reading my blog! 💛

Khairatul Amirah said...

Been trying out this product for three weeks and i think my skin is purging, is that normal?

Patricia Deloera said...

facial cleansing sponge

Shine Sheila said...

Hello I'm just a teenager who just starting at skincare routine. I have an oily skin at live at tropical country where its hot and humid. I once tried cetaphil gentle cleanser.. its giving me an oily skin after couple of hours (I don't use mosturizer that time)..

Do oily type need a stronger deep wash to control the oil or using a mild sensitive soap like this is enough?

ieyra h. said...

Hi there! ☺️ I believe our skin will get oily after sometimes regardless of which kind of cleanser we are using and that it because cleanser will wash away the dirt but also the natural oil on the face. Our face will secrete more oil in order to compensate the dryness. However, there are cleansers out there that won’t leave the skin feeling ‘squeky clean’. Maybe can try searching for cleanser that labelled with ‘hydrating’?
I also don’t see a problem if you want to use cleanser for oily skin as long as your skin can take it AND you tone+moisturiser after that 😃.

-always moisturises after cleanser to avoid skin from becoming extra, extra oily (my suggestion is to go for gel moisturiser).

-starts small before committing for the full-size product!! I always suggest people going for this way & I personally do it myself. I like sample/travel sizes products!! If the skincare products are suitable for you, you can proceed into buying the big size afterwards! 💕

Kelly Jacob said...

Your article was nothing short of amazing – thank you for inspiring me to think bigger and bolder.
NisiaCo