Huge Beauty Empties | 2019


I collect trash, but with purpose.

You must have heard of Marie Kondo by now- the Japanese organisational consultant who has her own show playing on Netflix, as well as the author to the best-selling book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Inspired by a couple of her videos that I've watched online and also, @lifeinjeneral account on Instagram, I spent the whole month of January to declutter and tidying up my room. It was pretty exhausting but I felt satisfied and accomplished at the same time. 


As seen in the above picture, I've got a huge box of A4 papers that I used when I was moving out from a house and a couple more of other boxes, all filled with empties. First of all, you need to know that I collected them up until a certain amount because I wanted to send them to recycle centre. I used to do this monthly (see my previous empties posts on the blog) but ever since I've been practising a /almost/ minimalist beauty routine, I found that I didn't have a lot of things to use and to throw up, so I stopped blogging about empties and hold onto more bottles and jars before sending them away.

Let's (dumpster) dive right in shall we?!
note: not all of my empties are pictured here since I've missed a couple of shots.


1) Daiso Detergent for Puff and Sponge
2) Daiso Makeup Brush Cleaner
Reviews:
Cheap and effective. No funky smell and doesn't dry out my brushes and sponges. I've been using them for years and will continue to buy and use them as long as they are still available in our local Daiso. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.


3) AQUTOP Perfect Clean Cleansing Foam
4) Hada Labo Face Wash Lab Cleansers
5) Simple Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel
Reviews:
My top recommendation is Hada Labo face wash in the yellow bottle because it's low in pH but cleanses the face like what a higher pH could do. Less is more with AQUTOP face cleanser [full review: HERE] because you would need a pea-sized dot for the whole face and dare I say, it's the most moisturising face cleanser I've tried in my life despite its high pH value. For Simple Facial Gel that I used in my AM routine, I simply decided to stop buying it after I discovered a better option but I do have a review on it earlier on my blog.


6) Garnier Micellar Water
7) Purevivi Cleansing Lotion
8) The Saem Healing Tea Garden Tea Tree Cleansing Water
9) Bifesta Cleansing Lotions
Reviews: 
Which one I like the best and why?
Bifesta and The Saem because they cleanse effectively and extremely gentle to my eyes. Bifesta is the gentles one I find after Bioderma Sensibio which happens to be my holy grail product. It also requires me lesser cotton pads applications compared to others.

Cost-effective?
Garnier! Always on sale plus it's easily accessible in Malaysia. This is followed by The Saem, it was around 5500 won (less than RM20) when I got it from one of their street shop located in Myeongdong. Used to be available in Althea for the cheapest price too but now no longer.


10) Nail polishes from Elianto, The Face Shop and Revlon
Reviews:
When I did my room cleaning,  I decided to throw these out and only kept a few bottles that I think I would use in the future though I had reached a point in my life many, many months ago where I realised nail polishes are simply not for me. Instead of nail polishes from Elianto, what I'd gladly recommend from the shop is their Korean-made polish remover that smells good and not drying. 


11) Tesco My Senses Shower Gel
12) The Good Stu Shower Gel
Reviews: 
When it comes to the things I use in the shower, I both splurge and try my best to find the cheapest deal out there. I like Tesco My Senses Shower gel (1 litre) because of its price, it's less than RM7 and sometimes when I'm lucky enough, I can find it at Tesco for RM4.90. Though it's affordable, it doesn't smell funky or heavily filled with fragrances. If you like sweet, go for Strawberry and Permanganate, Goat's Milk is more moisturising than the rest of the gels. My personal favourite? Peach and Honey because it is calming and somewhat reminds me of a shower gel that I could get in a decent hotel room (in order words, it's not bad). Meanwhile, I got The Good Stu in Satsuma and Banana on a clearance sale at Watsons. They weren't that bad but not my favourites either due to their strong, overwhelming fruity smells that were just too much for my nose.


13) Revlon Colorstay Foundation
14) Revlon Age Defying Foundation
15) Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
16) Covo HD Picturesque HD Foundation
17) Sendayu Tinggi Loose Powder
Reviews:
Which one I like the best and why?
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, though I never find my true colour selection within the shade range. I have fallen in love with its peachy scent, non-drying formula albeit it could be a problem if you have dry skin, easy application using both face brush and a damp beauty sponge but most importantly, I love how it makes my skin looks like. This is the ONLY drugstore foundation that could make my skin near to flawless without being cakey [full review: HERE

Close to it is Revlon- this foundation is beyond amazing for a drugstore level but I'd only suggest it if you have oily skin type [full review: HERE] COVO is a local brand that we used to have it in Voir, the packaging reminds me a lot of the ever-famous MakeupForever HD foundation, which to my surprise, I did enjoy using Covo more than I enjoy the latter foundation.


18) Makeup products that I have finished and some are beyond their expiring dates
Review:
Which one I'd repurchase?
-Maybelline Instant Age Rewind. I'm using my third tube right now, going to my forth. Can be hard to blend sometimes though I enjoy its creamy but weightless consistency, almost never settle into my undereyes fine lines.
-Essence I Love Extreme Mascara. I have no idea whether it's still available in our Watsons but I personally enjoyed the outcomes. I believe it contained fibres hence it coats the lashes and make them appears longer.

Least favourite product?
Revlon Eyeshadow. One of the very first drugstore eyeshadow I owned. I thought I have thrown it away until last January when I did the cleanup. It was one of the worst quality product out there with zero pigmentations.


19) BCL AHA Oil Cleanser
20) Nixoderm Ointment
21) Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner
22) Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+
23) Bio-essence Miracle Bio Water Cooling Sunscreen SPF50+
24) Cosrx One Step Pimple Clear Pad
Reviews:
Left alone the Biore UV Aqua Rich, all of the items featured in this picture are something that I enjoyed using and I'd gladly repurchase; the cleansing oil from a Japanese brand is so effective in removing heavy makeup so it saddens me to pass it along because I can no longer find it in Guardian. I used Nixoderm when I had severe breakouts but ever since my skin has become better, I can't seem to find the use of it any longer so I'm getting rid of it. Kiehl's toner is not anything near special but it does work well on my skin providing hydration at its finest. I've talked about Bio-essence sunscreen [here], so you can check that out whilst for Cosrx Pimple Pad, it's my ultimate skincare favourite that helps a lot in improving my overall skin condition.  

Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence is a staple among beauty bloggers out there but it never seemed to work on my skin. While I do enjoy its lightweight consistency and cosmetically elegant finish, this Japanese suncreen interferes with my makeup A LOT since it can be hard to dry due to our humid tropical weather. It just piles and piles and piles, not to mention it doesn't go well with foundations that have heavier consistency. Also, I'm not a fan of its silicony finish.


25) Mini empties and samples that passed their expiring dates
Reviews:
Expensive but doesn't work- that's my general statement for Elizabeth Arden's skincare line 🤷‍♀️



And that concludes the products I was passing along last January. Without a doubt, the beauty industry does contribute to plastic waste, I myself use a lot of products whereby most of them are my basic necessity but it's not something that I'm proud of. I don't know, I just feel like sometimes we, as the consumers are simply left with no greener options because plastic is so commonly used in retail to pack beauty products so I guess the best thing I can do right now is to recycle. And please recycle! it saddens me when I see empties videos where the person just threw away their skincare products into a dust bin.

Hopefully, we will get more sustainable and "clear-beauty" products in the very near future. As for late 2018 and ongoing 2019, I've been doing this challenge of living a minimalist beauty routine and so far it has been good! I don't overhaul, only buy things I needed, more empties and pans because panning a product is so satisfying! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post today, I hope it gave you some insight to the products I've been finishing up and I will speak to you again soon!

Share This Article:

CONVERSATION

0 Comments :